Contemporary artist Jen Stark is a Miami native whose specialty is incredibly intricate paper sculptures. At first glance it is psychedelic, on second take it is brilliant. Inspired by nature and the concepts of replication and infinity, Stark recreates the repetitive patterns with various mediums – paper, wood, and mirrors are all common materials found in her art. Aside from Stark’s hypnotic art featured at Eric Firestone’s gallery as a part of Untitled, the young artist made a huge splash with her teepee project installation at the Mondrian, and kept the party going with Friends with You and Misaki Kawaii as they released a limited edition collection of pool toys at the Soho House. After such a non-stop week, you won’t be surprised to find out she’s chilling in the Keys right now… See below for Jen’s Proust Questionnaire, brought to you by WeTransfer.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A nice view, no stress, good friends and family!
2. What is your greatest fear?
To be eaten by a monster
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
When I meet someone, I can never remember their names or faces. It takes me at least a few times of meeting them, and makes for some embarrassing moments.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
Pretty stressed and busy due to Art Basel Miami, but having fun.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
I can’t think of one virtue that’s overrated.
9. On what occasion do you lie?
To make someone feel better….or to get myself into a party I’m not on the list for. Haha
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I wish I could have a tan year round. I’m pretty pale.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
The ability to make people laugh
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Cool, Awesome, OK
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My hubby Alvaro and my art!
16. When and where were you happiest?
I think every new moment I am happier than I was before. Life keeps getting better and better.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
The ability to do amazing high-dives.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d want to have a Jamaican accent.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
A large scale art installation I completed last year at Chicago Outlet malls. I created a 20ft x 8ft hanging sculpture, as well as a huge 30ft x 40ft hand painted mural on an escalator in 1 month.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
Probably would want to come back as an astro physicist or someone who studies the universe. I would finally figure out rhyme and reason to it all.
21. Where would you most like to live?
On an island in a hut somewhere far away.
22. What is your most treasured possession?
My pup Zelda and jewelry from my grandma.
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Not being able to do what you love everyday.
24. What is your favorite occupation?
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
My blonde hair and my nose that tends to point up a bit… haha
26. What do you most value in your friends?
27. Who are your favorite writers?
David Sedaris & Michael Pollan
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
My best friends & family
31. What are your favorite names?
Stella, Sterling, Jackson
32. What is it that you most dislike?
Pretentious people who treat you differently if they think you’re important/famous or not.
33. What is your greatest regret?
Not being able to go to my grandpa’s funeral (was overseas studying abroad). He was one of the biggest influencers of me becoming an artist.
34. How would you like to die?
In little or no pain around loved ones, lucid, and able to say goodbye.
35. What is your motto?
Work hard play hard.